Friday, March 21, 2008

Part Two: Last 7.5 Minutes of Fame


Check out the St. John Sun Times wrap up of 8 Tuff Miles. A great article on the race and a bunch of good photos, including one smack dab in the middle of the page spread featuring yours truly with running buddies Brian and Brett (took this at the awards ceremony the afternoon after the race took place). As you can see we are proudly sporting our baby blue "Urbandale All Stars" t-shirts I labored away on leading up to our trip. Big thanks to Ella and Gina at the Sun Times for taking the time to email me an electronic version of the story! You can click on the pictures to see a bigger version.

So we just got back from an interesting evening out. We went up to Elgin to see Sarah Vowell speak. She is an author who has written several books on American history, and she's also pretty damn funny and played the voice of the daughter, Violet, in the move "The Incredibles." I haven't read her books but know her from her frequent contributions to "This American Life" the Chicago Public Radio show that is now one of the most popular on NPR and I have become nerd-ily addicted to. I listen to the old

podcasts most days on my commute. If you haven't checked it out,you should, I'd highly recommend it (check out the link to their website over to the right, I'm tired and don't feel like adding it again here!) Anyway, she was very good and although tickets were a little pricey ($20.00), I'm glad we went and look forward to reading some of her books, such as Assassination Vacation.

After that headed out to a small Italian place on the way home and had a fairly good meal served by what Ashley swears were waiters with fake Italian accents. I made the unfortunate decision to make a comment at dinner along the lines of "Too bad we can't keep the house more clean, both of us are very messy people." Well of course this isn't entirely true, and it's me that tends to put off the cleaning, but I seem to have made Ashley feel as if I felt she was a real mess maker too which is not true. Anyway, it's almost 11:45 p.m. and she's in the bathroom cleaning out the drawers!! On the bright side, her bronchitis seems to be much better and she's not coughing nearly as much.

So I hope to get that big trip report done.. eventually.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

TJ--I'm jealous. The next time you go see Sarah Vowell, invite me along. I'm a big fan and have read all the books.

Is this thing with you and Ashley still on? Keely and I are awaiting musical instructions.

Love, Uncle Dave

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment to my blog...and it's fun checking back to yours! You're getting a taste of good ol' St. John hospitality...Peter Alter was talking about you a LOT in the months leading up to the race. Come back next year and you'll get that ball rolling even bigger! I'll keep tabs on your blog, it's fun!